Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Versatile Blogger

("You like me! You REALLY like me!"-Sally Fields)

A few days ago I was awarded the Versatile Blogger Award by my dear (real life) friend, Ellen. She also happens to write the AMAZING blog, Life on a Real California Dairy Farm. If you already haven't done so, you should definitely check it out. She writes about her life as a dairy wife and mom. This is something near and dear to me since so many of my friends make their living in the mud and the dirt, at the crack of dawn until way after the sun sets, every day of the year, through rain and 100+ degree days, providing food for (not only myself and my immediate community) but the rest of the world. I am so honored to have received this award and it is a reminder that there are other people out there in Bloggerville that, not only take the time to read my lil ramblings, actually enjoy them enough to call me out. My cup runneth over! Thanks again Ellen.
With this award comes a great responsibility. It is my privilage to pass it on. 
The rules that come with this award are to thank the person who gave it to you, link back to their blog, and pass it along to other deserving bloggers. Then, you must reveal seven things about yourself.

All winners in my book...

I rarely pass up an opportunity to talk about myself (as you have seen HERE and HERE). Lets see if I can offer up any new information:

1. I have an entire shelf in my bookcase dedicated to all things Martha Stewart. The collection includes several cookbooks, craft books, holiday specific books and about two years of Martha Stewart Living (if not more). I also have years of Martha Stewart Weddings and a coveted Martha Stewart Baby from Spring 2001. To my knowledge, it is the only issue ever published of Baby but I would LOVE to see it come back. I adore every thing in that issue. Yes, I am obsessed.

2. I am extremely anxious and terrified of what will happen with Sweet Temper Baking. I am terrified of its potential failure. I may be more terrified at its potential success. 

3. I get ridiculously, grandiose ideas. I have recently determined that it is hereditary. My mother AND grandmother do the same. My mother and I will call each other with the latest hair-brained scheme and spend the next hour and a half on the phone completely dissecting it to figure out how we can make it a reality. Once that is done, the idea seems to pass before it ever comes to fruition. It drives the Mr. absolutely insane. I think he is figuring it out though. I think he realizes that this is just how my mum and I communicate.

4. The latest idea? It has been in my head the last few weeks to figure out how to purchase an inexpensive home in the foothills to make into our family vacation home. My theory is why wait if it might be manageable now? This idea will probably last all summer at least, then onto the next. (A couple of years ago I was trying to figure out how the Mr. and I could manage a 'live aboard' lifestyle on a boat docked in the Bay).

5. I had something a little too honest written out for this one but decided against it. What I was going to rant on about was something that I am guilty of doing as well. I didn't want to sound hypocritical so I left it out. 

6. Ok, ok, here goes. Sometimes I get so restless that I could scream! I don't know if its this town, or if it is indicative to women my age but its something that just drives me bonkers. It is this whole 'Stepford Wife' mentality. Its this image of a picture perfect life. All the play dates, perfect birthday parties, half birthday parties, 'Which formula do YOU use?' 'Oh I would never! I only breast feed', pedicures, weekend getaways, 'my husband grilled this tonight for dinner' or 'I made that tonight for dessert', taking the boat out for the first time this summer, and so on and so on. I brag about and attempt these things everyday as well (did you expect the complete 180 to come so soon after I shared my love for all things Martha? lol) but when I really start to think about it, who am I really trying to impress? When did it become a competition to just LIVE? I like to make things look pretty and perfect and we all have things that we are strong at and things we admire in others, but when did this admiration turn into envy? When did it become 'Look at what she did! Pffft...I know I can do better than that.' instead of 'Wow, she did such a great job. I am so proud to be her friend'? I know if I feel this way that some of my other peers feel this way too. Why, as women are we always trying to one up each other? Why can't we just be honest with each other without feeling as if we were we would be fodder for idle gossip later?
Hmmm... still thinking I probably shouldn't have 'revealed' so much.

7. I love to read and it has helped me through many hurdles in life. I should turn to the Bible more for help but I don't (I do listen for God to speak to me and rely on our 'conversations' to guide me through life though). I make the joke often that I read 'The Rules' and tried them on the first man that I met afterwards to see if they worked. That man was the Mr. I have recently started another book that I am hoping will be the punchline for another huge life decision. I don't want to say too much more on that, but look for that book review hopefully sooner than later. I know that this final revelation might have been a tad vague (ok, HUGELY vague). Sorry about that.

That was my seven things. You might have thought I was drunk or high when writing those out but I assure you I wasn't. Just perhaps a little too revealing. 

1 comment:

  1. You are so amazing! I love to relate and I always find ways to relate to you when I read your stuff! I've been a little out of focus lately, so the first things to go are the little things I do for pleasure, like reading and writing on the internet! FB yeah, it's quick, but I like to dedicate time and thought to people. I think I suffer from "all or nothing" syndrome with the blog world. Thanks for the award! I'm in this writing challenge now and I was going to make a post and tag you. There's a link on my page. :) I think you might like it! It might take me a bit to get motivated to pin myself down to actually write. It seems so simple to do, just like cleaning my house. It is there, I have the time and yet, I can't seem to FOCUS. You are just so wonderful in your thought and expression, Jen. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails