Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Run, Fat Girl, Run

Well, actually, this is the first year that I haven't felt like a fatty. The scale still tells me that I am but I am telling the scale to suck it this year. Oh yeah, and while I am at it the mirror can suck it as well.
The only resolution I made this year was to commit to the things I say I am going to do. I figured that I would end up watching my mouth and making sure that I didn't absentmindedly open it to say things that begin with "I think I am going to..." I have already shot myself in the foot and its not even 2 weeks into the year. I have committed myself to a half marathon.
I haven't fully committed myself  because I haven't yet registered, but I have said it out loud and, for this year, that is commitment enough. Drats.
My plan is to register for The San Francisco Marathon. It takes place on July 31, 2011. The tough choice I have to make is do I run the first half or the second half? The first half takes you over the Golden Gate Bridge and then a bus takes you to the finish line. The second half lets you actually cross the finish line. Decisions, decisions. I am pretty sure I will be doing the first half. I like the idea of running with the hopefuls instead of crawling with the haggard. I have a friend (Camo) that will be running it for the American Cancer Society and in my office, my coworkers (including my boss) and I have almost convinced ourselves to do it. Its not like I will be out there alone. Its not like I can SAY I ran it when really I might have been in the Marina at Judy's having their fantastic french toast. I am stuck to it now and more than likely there will be witnesses.
I am considering the Bay to Breakers as a fun little run to take some of the pressure off the big one in July. I have said I had wanted to do this every year for the past 3 or 4 years and this year marks its 100th anniversary. This year I am seriously considering it but I refuse to commit to anything.
Camo sent me a schedule that she planned to work off of (because she is a newbie runner like myself). Tomorrow I start Thursday of week one and will repeat week one next week before moving on to the rest of the schedule. I should get to bed because I have promised myself that I will wake up early and head to the gym before work....wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails