Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Embarcadero and Market

(strangers enjoying better days)

One of my absolute favorite things to do when I lived in SF was to go atop the Hyatt Regency, at the foot of Market Street and  Embarcadero, and have a leisurely cup of Jo and dessert at the Equinox. The best part of the Equinox? While sitting in the restaurant you could enjoy breathtaking views of the city and be right where you started after a 40 minute rotation. Dinner was a little too pricey for me but for a little over the price of toll for the Golden Gate, you could get the same experience by ordering only a piece of decadent chocolate cake and a glass of champagne (my most favorite of all things to order there). It is only a block away from the Embarcadero BART station and this made it easy to get there. I have friends that are going into San Francisco tomorrow and they were looking for a nice place to see the sunset. I immediately thought of the Equinox, what could be more perfect? Looking into more information for my friends, I discovered the most devastating news.
In January of 2007, The Hyatt Regency was bought out by Dune Capital Management and Di Napoli Capital Partners. Doesn't sound that bad, right? The horrible thing is, when this happened, the new owners decided to close down the Equinox and in its place open an elite club called the Regency Club Lounge. Boooooo!!!! Grrrr!!!! Wait... it gets worse. There is now a hideous concrete frame surrounding the former revolving restaurant making it stationary forever. Still not bad enough for you? Like I said, this club is elite making it only open to certain guests of the Hyatt Regency.
It is a sad, sad day my friends (although it has been closed for a couple of years now apparently, the pain is still brand new for me). I hold too many wonderful memories. My first time, when I was about 8 years old and not yet afraid of heights, was amazing. My last time, sipping that champagne, nibbling that chocolate cake, and watching the stars come out over the Bay Bridge... oh Equinox, I will miss you everyday.


(the monstrosity it is today...ewww...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails